What’s your favorite part of a blueberry muffin? Is it the sweet muffin top, the cake-y interior, the burst of flavor surrounding each of the juicy berries? What if I told you that this was a recipe for muffins where every single bite had that berry-licious flavor? Oh, and that these blended berry muffins are actually BLUE?
Long story short, I finally incorporated a blender into my baking adventures. It’s only taken me about a year of full-on baking experimentation, nine months of blogging and reading other bloggers’ recipes, and dozens of my own muffin, cupcake, pancake, and regular old cake recipes to get to this moment. The moment where I removed a batch of Blended Berry Muffins from the oven and inhaled the sweet scent emanating from warm goodness.
These gluten free, oil free, and flourless blueberry muffins contain berry-liciousness in every bite because I literally blended the berries with the gluten free oat based muffin batter. This meant that the blueberry flavor took over the whole muffin, so that the muffin part actually tasted of blueberries instead of just muffin (not that muffins aren’t incredibly tasty on their own). Then, I threw extra berries in, so that I’d still get the burst of juicy berry sprinkled throughout. All of this was rather well planned, if I do say so myself. The only part that wasn’t was how BLUE they are. The batter was a dark lavender coming out of the blender, and the baking process turned the muffins an unmistakably brilliant blue. Hey, it makes eating all the colors of the rainbow naturally easier – there just aren’t that many naturally blue foods around. And if you’re making these for kids (or you’re a kid at heart) then you know that blue food can be the best food.
All that’s left to do is decide exactly what kind of blue these babies are. Royal blue? Navy blue? Whip up a batch and let me know what you think!
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free quick oats
- 1/4 cup powdered peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 6 oz plain (or blueberry) Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients, then add in wet (except berries).
- Pour batter into a blender and add in 2/3 cup berries.
- Pulse until batter is smooth. Oats should be broken down and berry juice should turn the batter a dark purple.
- Remove blender top and add in remaining 1/3 cup berries. Mix in by hand.
- Pour batter into a 12-muffin tin, lined with wrappers or greased well.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
What’s your favorite part of a muffin?
What kind of blue do you think these muffins are?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.