Silver-white winter as it turns into spring…means it’s the perfect time of year to combine hearty winter root vegetables with the first sweet snaps of spring shoots. I love butternut squash and asparagus separately, but they’re even better together. So here’s a simple recipe to bring out the best flavors in both!
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
12-15 asparagus shoots
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Arrange butternut squash on a sheet of tinfoil in a pan, or on a cookie sheet.
3. Brush olive oil over the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Bake squash for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. While it’s cooking, chop the asparagus.
5. Remove squash from oven and add asparagus around the cubes. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and return the pan to the oven. Set to broil and cook for 15 minutes more.
6. Serve while warm. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite veggie combination? Do you try to eat seasonally?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.