It’s autumn, and that means it’s apple and pumpkin season. From reading this blog and others, you’d never guess that other flavors might be able to take center stage. But squash, sweet potatoes, and corn are also stars of the show, and when Thanksgiving rolls around the latter always plays a crucial role – in the corn bread. In this case, gluten free golden corn bread, fluffy and delicious and perfect for sopping up the gravy or toasting with a bit of butter for the morning after breakfast.
Corn bread is usually made out of cornmeal or corn flour, of course, but it often also contains white flour, thus requiring a gluten free makeover by yours truly. I tested a few different combinations of medium grind cornmeal, corn flour, and regular all purpose gluten free flour. While mixing the all purpose flour with cornmeal does the trick for the golden corn muffins I usually make, I found that I preferred a blend of cornmeal and corn flour for this corn bread, as it turned out coarse and dense yet also soft, fluffy and doughy. In short, the ultimate gluten free corn bread recipe.
I decided to throw some whole golden corn kernels into the mix, and they make a nice burst of flavor and color in the corn bread. Honestly, I just like polka dots, whether in a pattern or in my food. Regular readers know my affinity for sprinkles and chocolate chips in everything. But a zest for polka dots is for the best here, as the corn kernels really add an extra kick.
You can also use this recipe to make gluten free golden corn muffins. It’s a little different than my other recipe, which I’d suggest if you prefer a lighter and sweeter corn muffin, but if you want a hearty corn muffin bursting with whole corn kernels, this will do the trick!
One more thing to add – if you’re a fan of complex corn bread, you can toss some rosemary and thyme in and add a little olive oil to the pan for a truly savory side dish. This technique also works if you’re looking to crumble up the corn bread and use it in your corn bread stuffing 🙂
- 3/4 cup gluten free corn flour
- 3/4 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cup milk of choice*
- 1/2 cup whole golden corn kernels, cooked
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter*
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Olive oil, butter or cooking spray to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a small bowl, then add in all wet ingredients except for corn kernels.
- Whisk batter until it stirs very smoothly, then add in whole corn kernels and mix in gently so they spread evenly throughout.
- Grease a 9″ square pan with olive oil, butter, or cooking spray.
- Pour in batter and bake for 25-30 minutes. Insert toothpick to ensure it comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
[Tweet “Make some Gluten Free Golden Corn Bread for your Thanksgiving spread! #GlutenFreeThanksgiving”]
Is cornbread more of a summer BBQ or an autumnal Thanksgiving food for you?
Do you prefer corn muffins or cornbread?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.