I hosted my first dinner party back in February, and for the main course I served two gluten free quiches. One was a Savory Goat Cheese & Vegetable suitable for vegetarian guests, and the other was a Smoked Salmon & Quinoa Quiche suitable for the dairy free among them. All of my friends loved them, and I whipped up lots of different frittata and quiche recipes as make-ahead meals for the week throughout the spring, but I put all that on hold throughout the summer while studying for the bar five feet away from the kitchen and not cooking so much as constantly snacking 🙂 Now that it’s autumn and I’m getting ready to start my new job, I’m back to experimenting with recipes for meals I can make ahead and eat during the workweek. This gluten free Broccoli Cheddar Quiche definitely fits the bill. It’s perfect to bring to the office for breakfast or lunch, or to re-heat at home for dinner and enjoy along with a side salad.
I decided to make a cornmeal crust, because the mix of gluten free cornmeal and different spices really adds a compatible kick to the eggy main event. I also happen to have a large sack of cornmeal on hand since I’ve been experimenting with cornbread recipes for Thanksgiving! But you can also use my quinoa-based crust, or turn this quiche into a frittata by foregoing the crust altogether. One more thing – I like my garlic, but it’s totally optional. Broccoli and Cheddar go together, but you can make it some regular white or yellow Cheddar instead of the garlic Cheddar I used. I strongly recommend throwing a few dashes of the other spices into the cornmeal crust if you go that route, since plain cornmeal can be rather bland otherwise. But the eggs, broccoli, and cheese will swirl together nicely however free a hand you take.
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp gluten free cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp all purpose gluten free flour
- 8 large eggs + 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 4 oz Cheddar cheese (I used a garlic Cheddar)
- 3 Tbsp shaved Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil (to grease pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, 1 egg white, olive oil, and 1/3 cup milk until smooth. Add in 1 tsp each of garlic powder, basil, paprika, and pepper.
- Grease an 8″ round pan with olive oil and pour in crust mixture. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees, until it looks firm on top but is still doughy when a fork is inserted.
- While crust is baking, beat together eggs, broccoli, cheese, and remaining spices in the bowl.
- Pour egg mixture into crust and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until a fork or toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy!
[Tweet “Try a slice of gluten free Broccoli Cheddar Quiche for breakfast!”]
What’s your favorite kind of quiche?
Do you prefer a quiche with crust, or a frittata without?
Are you big on garlic and other spices?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.