Today we’re taking a little break from the plethora of pumpkin on here to focus on another member of autumn’s star produce ensemble. That’s right, the apple. The apple is one of my favorite foods. I eat at least the one a day recommended to keep the doctor away year-round, and in the colder months I often have two or three because they’re in season in the Northeast and most other fruits, like berries, melon, peaches and plums, are not (and are thus ridiculously expensive unless you buy them frozen). There’s no better autumn activity than apple picking, and other than munching on all the crisp, sweet, juicy fruit you fetch from the trees, a girl’s got to whip up some apple-licious treats with all the bounty.
Luckily, these Apple Cinnamon Flax Muffin Bites are the perfect showcase for fresh autumn apples. They’re not only gluten free but also made without oats or rice flour. Just flaxseed meal, sorghum flour, some maple and cinnamon, and of course, those wonderful apples. I like to use Macintosh, Macoun, Cortland, Empire, or Baldwin apples when baking because they’re the most common varieties at local orchards in New York and Connecticut, and they’re fairly balanced as apples go between the sweet and the tangy.
Of course, you can use any variety you like. Some of my favorite apples for eating are Pink Lady, Braeburn, and Jazz for the sweeter varieties, and Granny Smith for a sharper crunch. I’ve also made batches with these kinds, and so long as you keep in mind that the apple type will influence the taste of the bite, experimenting is definitely worthwhile.
These Apple Cinnamon Flax Muffin Bites take just 5 minutes to whip up and 15 to bake in the oven. They’re perfect as a grab and go snack, or enjoyed sitting down with a mug of spiced apple cider and a smear of peanut butter on top.
Sweet and snappy for any time of day, these little bites of heaven are gluten free and adaptable to be totally grain free and dairy free. So snack away!
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup peanut flour
- 2 Tbsp all purpose gluten free flour (can sub 1 Tbsp tapioca flour + 1 Tbsp quinoa flour for grain free alternative)
- 6 oz Greek yogurt (sub coconut or goat’s milk yogurt for dairy free alternative)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup grated apples
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Additional butter or oil to grease muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until frothy, then add in other wet ingredients and stir well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix thoroughly.
- Grease a 12-muffin tin and pour batter into muffin cups evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until toothpick or fork comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
[Tweet “Enjoy an Apple Cinnamon Flax Muffin Bite after a day of apple picking!”]
Favorite kind of apple?
Favorite way to bake with apples?
Apples or pumpkins if you had to choose just one?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.