I enjoyed my pumpkin spice oatmeal cake so much, I decided to whip up another – but since I’d finished the pumpkin, I needed a new flavor palate. Enter apples and cinnamon, one of the best combinations for a warming winter treat known to all mankind! Perfect for these days when silver-white winter is supposed to turn into spring, but spring seems a little shy to come out and play…
1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup milk of choice (I used So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk)
2 Tbsp Greek yogurt (I recommend using 2% or full fat for the creaminess)
1 egg white (substitute applesauce if desired)
1/2 small apple, cubed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For ramekin: 1 tsp butter (can substitute olive oil or cooking spray)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl, then add in wet ingredients (only use 1 Tbsp of yogurt here) and cubed apple and mix well.
3. Melt butter in 1-cup (8 ounce) ramekin to coat inner surface. (You can also use olive oil or cooking spray, but I found that butter worked really well in this recipe to give the cake a yummy buttery crust).
4. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, then set oven to high broil for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Use a knife to carefully pry the edges of the cake from the ramekin (easy as long as it was greased well!) and flip upside down into a dish.
6. Top with 1 Tbsp of yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!
This is a perfect post-workout breakfast – you can come home, whip up the ingredients, and stick it in the oven while you shower and get ready, then eat before you leave. It’s also a perfect lazy morning dish, because you can just lounge around reading the newspaper and slowly waking up while the oatmeal cake bakes. Basically, it’s great for everyone! And it’s completely gluten-free. What’s your go-to breakfast?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.