It’s that time of year when a silver white winter begins to turn into spring…meaning the perfect time to combine hearty winter root vegetables with the first sweet spring shoots. I love butternut squash and asparagus separately, but they’re even better together. I’ll often whip them up in the oven in the early spring or in the autumn, when you can get them both pretty close to in-season. And today I’m sharing this simple recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash & Asparagus to bring out the best flavors in both for a vivacious vegetable dish.
Asparagus is one of my favorite green vegetables because of its versatility. It pairs well with poultry or fish as a side dish, but is also perfect with a poached egg as the star of a plate. In fact, grilled asparagus and egg was one of my favorite British brunch dishes while I was at Oxford.
Butternut squash also tops my list, as it’s great to pair with a green as a starchier side and can be either sweet or savory depending on how you choose to season it.
While I have a soft spot for vegetables in general, these two are also a hit with friends and family who tend to place veggies firmly in the “side dish” camp. That’s how they appear here, but keep in mind they can also be stars of the show – throw them in a frittata or just serve atop some quinoa and see how delicious the fresh flavors can be!
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 15-20 asparagus shoots
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange butternut squash on a sheet of tinfoil in a pan, or on a cookie sheet.
- Brush olive oil over the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake squash for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. While it’s cooking, chop the asparagus.
- Remove squash from oven and add asparagus around the cubes. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, spread minced garlic around evenly and return the pan to the oven. Set to low broil and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Serve while warm. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite combination of vegetables?
Do you try to eat seasonal produce?
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.
4 thoughts on “Roasted Butternut Squash and Asparagus”
Love asparagus and squash, such a yummy combo!
I MAKE THIS COMBO ALL the time!!!! It’s soooooo flipping good – put a little cinnamon on top, YUM 🙂
I am ashamed to admit that I’ve never made anything with asparagus before. This is most definitely gonna have to change! :O
Pingback: WIAW #41 | Renaissance Runner Girl