I am very particular when it comes to chocolate. I only like dark chocolate (I will tolerate good milk chocolate if it is accompanied by something else delicious, like caramel or berries) and I do not consider white chocolate worthy of the name. And usually, I only enjoy chocolate when it is actual chocolate – in a bar, as a truffle, or chopped into chips. I throw dark chocolate chips into yogurt, ice cream, and oatmeal, and sometimes I snack on a few straight from the bag! But I generally don’t delight in anything that is “flavored” with chocolate, like chocolate cake or cookies. When it comes to that stuff, I’m a classic vanilla girl.
These Cocoa-Chocolate-Chip Cuppins are an exception to that rule, the result of accidentally tossing in some unsweetened cocoa powder instead of brown sugar when I was making vanilla chip “cuppins” one day. If a muffin and a cupcake had a baby, the result would be a cute little cuppin – similar to my Marvelous Muffins because I use gluten-free whole rolled oats, but blended with white sorghum flour for a more cupcake-like texture. They’re delicious, with the cuppin tasting definitively of cocoa and the bittersweet chocolate chips adding a deep dark chocolate flavor. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do – they’re the perfect chocolate kick for a breakfast or snack!
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp gluten-free sorghum flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill GF sorghum flour)
4 oz vanilla Greek yogurt
1/3 cup milk of choice
2 large eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar or preferred sweetener
1 tbsp melted butter
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp applesauce
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2-3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 large chocolate chips or chunks (I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chips)
Olive oil or cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add egg, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla extract and mix well, ensuring a uniform color and consistency (the batter will remain thick – they’re cuppins, not just cupcakes!)
4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. Grease each wrapper VERY well with oil or cooking spray, otherwise your cuppins will stick to the wrappers.
5. Pour batter evenly into each wrapper. Place a dark chocolate chip on top of each one.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
7. Let cool.
© 2015 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.
One thought on “Cocoa-Chocolate-Chip Cuppins”
Well don’t these look tasty 🙂