It’s official: my kitchen is experiencing olfactory overload. So many new recipes to try, and only so much winter break in which to try them!
This latest batch of muffins may seem familiar, cousins of my Banana-Maple-Oat and Apple-Berry-Nana creations. But these include a delightful twist of caramel, invisible in their warm golden-brown tops while infusing the scrumptious first bite. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (I love Country Choice Organic Gluten Free Rolled Oats)
1/2 large apple
2 large eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 oz unsweetened applesauce (you can also use sweetened and decrease the sugar)
6 oz 2% vanilla or apple Greek yogurt (I love using the seasonal flavors, like Chobani 2% Apple Cinnamon or Dannon Caramel Apple, but unfortunately yogurt makers think we only like these in the autumn – FALSE!)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup caramel sauce (you can make your own, of course – this is the next skill I’ll tackle, but for now I used Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt Caramel Sauce)
2-3 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
Butter, oil, or cooking spray (for the muffin tin)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with butter, oil or cooking spray.
3. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Chop up half an apple into small cubes and toss into bowl.
5. Add egg, yogurt, and applesauce.
6. Mix well until the batter is uniform. This should be about 12-15 good stirs.
7. Now, for the caramel! I simply put my caramel sauce in at this stage and mix 4-5 more times so it becomes part of the batter, because I like the flavor throughout the muffin. However, you can also keep the caramel separate and fill each muffin tin about 2/3 of the way, then place a dollop of the sauce on top before adding the last bit of batter. This gives you a caramel center for each muffin, which can be a scrumptious surprise! I just like to mix it in, and then pour the batter into the muffin tin.
8. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
9. Let cool.
© 2014 Renaissance Runner Girl. All rights reserved.